• Thu, Oct 23rd, 2014

[Rumor] Samsung Epic Touch 4G Releasing September 9th

Posted In Featured, News - By Mark Hearn On Friday, August 19th, 2011 12:13pm PDT With 26 Comments

We just asked the question, which will happen first, the Epic 4G’s Gingerbread update or the release of the Samsung Galaxy S II?Unless the Epic gets its update before September 9th, we’ll have to go with the latter. We’ve just received a heavy piece of intel advising that Sprint’s version of the Samsung Galaxy S II will not be called the Epic 4G Touch, but will be called the Epic Touch 4G as reported by BGR, however our story doesn’t end there. SprintFeed has received word that Samsung’s superphone will be releasing on Friday September 9th, which is a bit offbeat from Sprint’s usual Sunday release dates. However when you take into consideration that September 11th is the ten year anniversary of 9/11, an early release makes perfect sense.¬†We haven’t received any word regarding a price point just yet, but did get one more awesome piece of news. Our source advised that Sprint will be getting the Galaxy S II before the other three carriers, which put somewhat of a smug smile on our faces. Now we’re presented with a new question Sprintsters, can you handle a three week wait?

1. Chris Evans says:

Question answered. Time to go get a Nexus S or a Photon or something to tide me over for a couple weeks. My OG HTC Hero is circling the drain, FAST.
    Today’s battery runtime before auto-shutoff: 2h 30m.

2. David Marden says:

This would be pretty awesome… but I won’t hold my breath.

3. James Chat says:

My contract is up 9/1 so I will definitely be upgrading to the Epic Touch 4G.

If I’m not mistaken, the EVO4G was released on a Friday as well. I remember going into the store and getting it before work on launch day.

5. Kyle says:

my contract is up 9/1 but thanks to a buddy i can upgrade today. Ill have fun with the evo 3d for a while, then prob switch to the Epic when it releases…. HMMMMM

6. sweet! this will be EPIC!!! get it? Epic? cuz the phone is called epic…. and the announcement….well i need to work on my delivery..

7. Carlos Contreras says:

how about waiting two more months and get the Nexus Prime??
    its hard to choose from the GSII, Nexus Prime and probably the Iphone5!

I’ll wait a week for more info to leak before my Evo 3D goes up on Craigslist.

9. Epically Frustrated says:

How can anyone be excited to rush out and buy yet another Samsung phone given Sprint’s precedent of failing to support them? The original Sprint Epic is an outstanding piece of hardware and it was the last receive the froyo update and is still waiting on the gingerbread update. Sprint needs to figure out that after spending hefty amounts of cash on SuperPhones, consumers want to see those superphones supported; not replaced. Until they do, I will have a hard time justifying any contract renewal or phone upgrade.

10. Eludium Q36 says:

Ha! We’ve waited like 6-months already, a few more weeks ain’t gonna matter. I’ll prolly take Friday off, go to a Sprint store, and test out all three superphones: EVO 3D, Photon, and ET4G! What an awesome day that’ll be. I really want the ET4G to be the most impressive, though.

11. Eludium Q36 says:

12. Annoyed says:

Do you really thing that its Sprints fault that the Epic isn’t being supported? Its almost always the responsibility of the manufacturer first. And Samsung, historically is not very good in that department. Try to do some research first before you blame a carrier. Ill bet you thing its Sprints fault that your shit third party mp3 down loader stopped working huh?

Yes it was, as was the EVO 3D and a few others. If remember right the Epic came out on like a Tuesday. But Sunday has seen the most release dates from Sprint.

I don’t care. It’s just another crappy run of the mil Android phone that will probably be
    Out dated in 6 months ,when Europe gets the 3!..I want sprint to get the iPhone! Hey mark, what have u heard on this????

15. Mark Hearn says:

GSII is pretty solid, but to each his own. As far as a Sprint iPhone, haven’t heard anything concrete or out of the norm. Rest assured if and when I do, we’ll have something up. Thanks for checking out the site, hope you enjoy it.

16. Sttal says:

We have to wait, no other option

17. Epically Frustrated says:

MP3 downloader? How does that come into the conversation? Stick to the topic.

I blame all carriers and all manufacturers. The cycle needs to end. It won’t end until consumers stop rushing to buy the newest “bright, shiny”. I am keeping my cash in my pocket because money is the only message the carriers listen to.

18. A.T. Riley says:

I will definitely wait for the white version of this Super-Phone or the release of the sprint Iphone.

19. A.T. Riley says:

Mark, will there be a white version of the gs2?

Any word on the processor? Exynos or not?

21. Mark Hearn says:

Not sure, haven’t heard anything about that. We’re still waiting for a price point as well. We’ve got a hunch it will be $200-$250, but that’s just a shot in the dark for now.

I’m hoping Sprint releases a white version!

Just root it and install gingerbread yourself, it isn’t difficult. I have the ultra shitty HTC Hero that didn’t even get the Froyo update and I’m running Gingerbread..if it wasn’t for it’s horribly slow processor it would run well. Overclocked it’s better than it was stock though with cupcake

You don’t need a buddy to do that Sprint always let’s customers upgrade 2 weeks before the date.

25. Jtcplay says:

Just talked to sprint. Epic touch due out 16 Sept for $199.

26. Mrblackrain5 says:

i have the epic touch i upgraded from the epic keyboard phone which was a bunch of freezing up all the time crap.however this new epic touch is nice much better! i have the 1st evo too and it is just as smooth htc makes the best phones the iphone hype doesnt move me .besides droid apps are free mostly not apple:(