• Wed, Sep 17th, 2014

Sprint Advising Employees to Remain Mum on iPhone

Posted In Featured, News - By Mark Hearn On Sunday, August 28th, 2011 3:18pm PDT With 28 Comments

If you ask the Wall Street Journal, the iPhone is coming to Sprint in October. This sounds great, but if you were to ask a Sprint employee, you just might get a different answer, or no answer at all. We’ve received an internal memo providing employees with details on how to address customer questions about Sprint getting the iPhone. The memo advises employees not to speculate about Sprint getting the iPhone and even suggests the classic “no comment” response to external questioning. Employees are allowed to acknowledge the Wall Street Journal’s reports and if push comes to shove, they can direct customers to Sprint’s newsroom site.

If you ask us, this type of defensive practice only pours gasoline on top of this fiery rumor. This doesn’t confirm that Sprint is getting an iPhone, but the memo does not advise employees to deny the rumors either. If the recent claims weren’t true, why not tell your employees that the claims are false or to advise customers that these are only rumors? This generic approach makes us think something is definitely going on. In the meantime we’ll continue to keep an eye on this as more develops.

Thanks Diddy

1. Bb6h22lude4 says:

Thanks Mark

I can understand deflecting customer’s questions. That only makes sense. However, does Sprint really expect employees to give their friends and family a “no comment” when they’re in the privacy of their own homes and what not?!

3. Danrod67 says:

i was in my local sprint store today (Htown) and the sales woman made comments about a phone coming out by Christmas that is waaayy better than the GS2. I tried to get more info, but she wouldnt say much. The only thing she would say was “trust me, just wait”.

4. Danrod67 says:

Dumb comment opn the sales woman’s part.

She obviously was forced to drink the “if it’s an iphone it can’t be beat” Kool aid.

As the WSJ is prettty much an extension of the Apple advertising machine, it’s pretty much a given that the iPhone is coming to Sprint. It’s also to be expected for the company to issue a no comment type statement until all the i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed.

I’ve handled every mobile operating system and many of the top devices, but the magic of the iPhone completely escapes me. It has a nice display, it’s fast and has lots of eye candy, but I don’t understand why people see it as the be all, end all of smartphones.

This site is great! Been a Sprint customer for a long time and I really appreciate the inside scoop you guys get!

Cheers,
    Supersonical

8. Max Smolev says:

- So are you getting an iPhone?
    - The internal memo requires me to say that I saw a few reports that we do
    :D

Sounds pretty promising.

10. I’d say that’s pretty standard practice that doesn’t really mean anything. Don’t try and confirm something that you have no idea about.

Dont you just hate politics?
    be-anon.net.tc

12. Kaye says:

a sprint rep told me that sprint was to get the iphone 4 october 4th. im not sure to belive him but he told me that they were sent emails to not tell customers.

13. Kaye says:

14. pls read. it says ‘Dealer News’ and ‘All dealers’. Where is the employee memo?

15. pls read. it says ‘Dealer News’ and ‘All dealers’. Where is the employee memo?

16. Jesus Cumba says:

hey mark, its nice that sprint might be getting the iphone. but if it doesnt play nice with flash or wimax, its not worth it. ill stick with the photon 4g! #SprintFeedPHOTON

They used to call rumored phones vaporware, but this is becoming more like inevitableware…

Because when u buy an iPhone, u get into the whole ecosystem ..u can walk into any store and pick up a different accessorie for everyday day of the year! And the phone its self is just awesome! I runs buttery smooth!

That employee is full of shit.

So in other words, you like the one size fits all approach Apple takes. Apple decides what you get. Apple decides what you need. You accept Apple’s rules or you don’t play. Apple says what you can do with the device. And, best of all, you get to pay the Apple tax for the privilege of having a phone with a little apple icon on it. But it runs buttery smooooooooth…how exciting.

21. Brian says:

Considering that the iPhone with contract runs the same amount as any new Android phone, what “Apple tax” are you referring to? And what rules are they forcing on users? I wasn’t aware that Cupertino was deploying ninjas and forcing people to buy their wares.

Personally, I’m looking forward to the iPhone on Sprint so I can get away from Android phones that sometimes work properly. I was rooting for Google to succeed, but facts are facts. I’m on my second Nexus S and the damn thing still can’t hold a steady 3G signal. The screen goes blank when playing Youtube clips (and no, it’s not because the phone is sleep). The bluetooth randomly disconnects (to which Sprint recommended I buy another one of their expensive headsets. Um, no.). The browser still takes forever to load video clips (if at all), while my girlfriend’s iPhone can play the SAME video without issue.

All this comes after the G1 I previously owned, which was clearly (by Google’s own admission) a beta device and the user experience reflected that. And the Motorola Droid, which had probably the worst keyboard I’ve ever used. I’m tired of half baked devices that manufacturers abandon after a year or so, that supposedly “does” dozens of different things, but can’t seem to do any of them well.

I want something that just works and works well. And until proven otherwise, Apple reigns supreme.

If that makes me a sheep, then so be it.

22. AlexisG. says:

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THIS! The I phone 5 is commingle and Sprint WILL get it! I have a family friend that works for Spring on the inside and he confirmed for me that we will get it!
    I’ve been waiting for the I phone for sooo long, I thought it was comming out last year but it became too late and I ended up getting the Evolution 4G. Don’t get me wrong the Evolution is a pretty good phone but I HATE the Android system, I’d prefer Apple apps. I can positively say that I’m excited to get rid out my Evolution and get a I phone 5!

23. Exactly, Sprint can’t make people not able to talk, and lie!

24. Angie says:

Well as a Sprint employee I can tell you Im not telling my friends and family anything…if I did tell them anything it would be a lie. They have not said a word to us about the Iphone…so there really isnt anything to say…

25. Angie says:

Shes a moron dont listen to her…we havent been told anything about any phones coming out past the GS2….

26. D ROCK says:

a different “accessorie” (as you spell it) that you pay ridiculous amounts of money for, that you have to have because apple won’t conform to any industry standard. And it’s obvious you’re a typical apple customer… you’re happy to pay crazy amounts of money for technology and features that apple has just released that other devices have had for a year or more.

And you are a typical android user that sees a successful AMERICAN company and hates it for no good reason and u decide to fight the power by getting unreliable phones. FYI apple accessories! range from 10-100 $. Since being with sprint I have had two android phones and I think they Blow! You are just an anti buisness democratic obama lover! I live in BEAUTIFUL southern cali! I win you lose!