• Thu, Oct 23rd, 2014

Upgrade Fee Increase Adds Fuel to Sprint iPhone Fire

Posted In Featured, News - By Mark Hearn On Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 3:11pm PDT With 20 Comments

There has been more than a fair share of Sprint iPhone rumors, but we just can’t help ourselves. Sprint will soon be raising ETFs to $350, which possibly pointed to an iPhone recovery plan. We weren’t too sure about that, but it would be good to be able to justify such an increase, but it doesn’t end there! Our Super Spies have produced yet again! Today we’ve received some intel advising that on September 9th Sprint’s upgrade fees will double, going from $18 to $36. We’re really not liking these changes, but if  this prevents them from touching our data plans, we’ll just have to grit our teeth and deal with it. Sorry Epic 4G Touch hopefuls it looks like you’re gonna be among the first to feel this new increase.

1. Daniel Bobke says:

Bullshit all around. They should be glad that you are staying with them as a customer, not charging you for the privilege of doing so. In addition, their statement that the upgrade fee will not be waived is also bullshit. I have waived it EVERY single time I have purchased a new phone – I have never paid it.

2. Daniel Bobke says:

Well, considering the alternatives, Sprint is STILL the best plan around. BUT as they move closer and closer to assimilation with the other carriers, they make jumping ship to VZW look better and better.

5. This I am not pleased about, I upgrade often, and will feel the full effects of this change.. The ETF increase not so much. At this point let the other carriers keep the iPhone! I nor anyone I know has any intentions of downgrading to an iPhone from our Android handsets. We’re paying for the subsidization for the iPhone to be featured on our network. Mark my words now, the iPhone will be the root cause we loose unlimited data.

6. Jesus Cumba says:

i agree. its a joke the money that we kick out every month on these cell phone carriers on fees alone. sprint, you have a chance right now to make some noise & be a major player again. dont mess it up!

7. Tino Q says:

That’s right brother! I still use my launch day Palm Prē, and if I win a Photon 4G here, why would I downgrade to an iPhone?! No way Jose! The iPhone is just a glorified cellphone, nothing more.

8. Tino Q says:

We should not pay for the iFools. Sprint, I really like my unl data plans with you but I will jump ship if you keep going this route! #SprintFeedPHOTON

“Sorry Epic 4G Touch hopefuls it looks like you’re gonna be among the first to feel this new increase.”

Well… I would think if you upgrade to a 3D or Photon, you could always be unhappy and trade for the Touch? Just saying…

10. Van Byous says:

I’m thinking if you go with the likes of WireFly, BestBuy or RadioShack you wouldn’t have to pay that fee, right?

You would have to pay it. If you go through Sprint’s website or phone sales, you don’t. It’s only on upgrades, so if you get used or refurbs you don’t have to pay either.

12. Bing says:

Do you pay this fee is you upgrade via the website as well? I thought that fee was waived for online?

13. Bing says:

14. Kam_2958 says:

I personally can’t believe what they are doing lately. They are becoming just like the other carriers. I’m afraid to see what comes next.

15. efftheiphone says:

shopping online also puts people out of business. Over $36? woow cheap people

Verizon is on my radar.

17. Rwalford79 says:

Sprint this fully cancels out the $40 value over other carriers not to mention it costs double to upgrade now. Wasn’t a 2 year and $350 ETF GOOD ENOUGH??

18. henry kloch says:

I just got a Blackberry 9930. They are charging a smartphone fee of $10 which applies to nearly every phone you get. Multiply that 10 x 24 months of the contract and it is an extra 240 bucks on top of the phone and agreeing to 2 years.

19. Guest says:

I was in store getting my EVO repaired earlier this week and spoke with the CSR about the upgrading and the fees charged instore vs. online. He did tell me that they have a new online purchase option “Reserve Online, pick up in store” that allows you to make your reservation online and pick it up at Sprint Store with no activation fee included and the benefit of the CSR transferring data and handling any set up issues for you.

20. Sheradell says:

If your bill is already $200/month. A $36 fee pulse extra $10 being added on I was told by a sprint rep for smart phone upgrade for data service.