• Sat, Aug 23rd, 2014

LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update Pulled

Posted In News - By Mark Hearn On Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 4:40am PDT With 28 Comments

It’s been two weeks since the LG Optimus S’ Gingerbread update started rolling out and it appears that there’s been some hiccups with the new software. After reports of several post-install issues, Sprint has opted to pull the update and work out the kinks. If you’re experiencing some of the issues below, your handset may have been affected.

• Device not charging
  • No access to data services
  • SD card un-mounted or removed message
  • Device is not recognized by Windows XP, Vista, or 7 when connected to a PC
  • Predictive text with the Android keyboard is not working
There is currently a thread discussing these issues and providing workarounds for some of the update’s current problems. If you’re an Optimus S owner and you’ve been putting the update off for one reason or another, we strongly suggest you continue to wait. If you’re among those experiencing issues, we’d like to hear about your experience. Currently there is no ETA for a software fix for the the buggy update, but Sprint is working hard to resolve this matter as quickly as possible.

via: Sprint

1. Liam Quade says:

Haha, I’ve been using Gingerbread using CyanogenMod on my LG Optimus S for months now without issues. Sprint needs to get some help from CyanogenMod.

2. I’m a Tech here at a Sprint store, and I already figured that this software update was just bad. About 6 Optimus’s came into my store one after another and all for the charging issue.

I updated my phone and haven’t had any problems except for my ringtone being set to one of the stupid songs instead of my usual old-time ring. Easily and quickly rectified.

Brother is having an issue with his phone not charging. They are sending him a new one

5. Anton Frost says:

Sprint should’ve pulled the Gingerbread update for the EVO as well, but they didn’t.

6. Lead says:

@victor… I’m a lead tech at the biggest S&R location in the South….. I switch everyone from the exchange these phones all day… every day. I go right to the exchange list and swap them to a replenish. This phone sucks.

7. Dickthompson14 says:

I have sd card mount problems & sometimes charging. Without the predictive text also makes me

8. Dickthompson14 says:

Couldnt finish last co mment cause of problems have problemsbut preectivecase proven

9. I got the OTA upgrade and phone works no issues.

10. Maia Nevels says:

I’ve had the “no charging” and “device not recognized” issue. Both resolved by updating LG Android drivers on both XP and Win7 pc
    There’s a delay whenever I answer or place a call. Or it locks up to where I have to remove the battery. But the most frustrating is the predictive text not working.

11. Ginny Irvine says:

My phone would not charge. They tried everything. Sprint provided me with a new phone

12. Masterofenergy says:

On or about Wednesday, September 21, 2011 my phone said it was updating and rebooted itself. It was the new 2.3.3 version. The first thing I notice was the black top with neon green, I didn’t really like the black but it was just cosmetic and didn’t really bother me. What did bother me was that the keyboard had changed. I did not like it, especially the fact that it’s predictive text was horrible, totally useless in fact!

Instead of predicting the word it gives names in your contact list and words you have used on your phone and they all start with a capital letter. I called it about it and they said that there would be a maintenance update sent out within the next week or 2 that would fix it. On Saturday my phone shut off by itself and I could not turn it back on using the power button, I took the battery out and put it back in and was able to turn it on. Sunday morning my alarm did not go off and I woke up late. My phone had shut itself off. I called Sprint customer care, on the way to church. The girl I spoke to said she would call me after church and get me though to a technician who could help me. Her supervisior got on the phone to confirm the call back which we scheduled for 1pm EST. She never called me back.

After 2pm I called Sprint. Basically was told that I needed to take the phone to a repair center, nothing they could do. I did not want to do that as I had learned from my last experience that they would just hard reset it and that would only give me more aggrevation and probably not fix ther problem. Monday morning same thing happened, woke up, no alarm, phone was off. Took it straight to Sprint store, where they told me they would have to hard reset it. The guy assured me that it would more than likely fix the problem. It didn’t, Tuesday morning same story. At this point I had noticed other problems with my phone, I couldn’t save contacts, I couldn’t set a personal ring tone, I was having problems when typing in forms online, and sometimes when I was on a call I was not getting notices of incomeing calls. If they did not leave a voice mail I would not even know I had missed a call.

I called Sprint and was told by a supervison that she was aware of the problem, she herself had the same phone with problems, but that the technician could downgrade the system for me. She transfered me to the technician who told me that was not true. He told me that they were aware of the problem and their only solution was to replace my phone. The replacement phones are refurbished, not new. I don’t have a problem with that, but I want it to at least look new as this is no fault of my own that I have to keep replacing my original new phone. I was struggling to accept the situation and asked him to call me back in 2-3 hours. After 4 hours waiting I called Spint and spent more time being aggrevated. While on the call with them the technician called me and left me a voice mail, but I did not get to talk to him. Luckily he sent me an email, he had created a ticket for me to go get a replacement. I was told by Sprint that I could not do this over the phone. I had to spend my time and gas to go to the Sprint store wait for an hour so that they could write up an order for the replacement phone. What a waste of my time, this should have been done over the phone. I told the gentleman to make a note that I wanted a phone with a clean screen, no scratches. He said he did. I was to come back on Thursday.

I went in on Thursday, waited for almost an hour to pick up the phone and low and behold there were mulitple scratchs on the screen!!!! I know it might seem petty, but is it too much to ask? They ordered a replacement, now I was to wait till Monday, 4 more days with a bad phone. I called Spint totally beyond frustrated. I was speaking to a supervisor who told me she could get me anther phone to replace mine, not an LG Optimus, and it would be full touch screen, no keyboard, and I wouldn’t not have to pay anything, she wanted to restore my faith in Sprint. She put me on hold, after awhile a girl picked up the phone and asked me for my number. Seems I was put back into the system. I explained that I need to talk to the supervisor and told her the name. She asked me what was the problem. I told her very briefly and asked again for the supervison.

The girl got an attitute and kept trying to get me to give her all the details, which I was so sick and tired of giving and I just wanted to get back to the supervisor who was helping me. She put me on hold and never came back, after about 20 minutes of holding I hung up and called back. Of course you can never get to talk to who you were because there are over 100 call centers!

I finally got put on with another supervisor who assured me that she could get me this great new phone, but she had to put me through with the tech department, he assured me he could get me this great new phone, but he had to put me thought to a supervisior, who assured me, but had to put me though to someone else who finally told me the truth, they were all liars and no one at Sprint could do anything for me. I had to get my replacement thought the Sprint store. She was kind enough to say she would credit my account an inconvienince fee of $25, well at least that will cover the gas for all the trips to the Sprint store!

This morning (Friday) I talked to the manager of the Sprint store. He explained my options: get the replacement, hope it has good screen and works the way it should or down grade to a Samsung Intercept with touch screen and keyboard. He said he could in no way help me get a better phone. I am so disappoint in Sprint and their policies that only benefit them. I guess I am used to dealing with companies that want to make their customers happy and will go out of their way to make sure of it. Not say sorry you are having this terrible experience but I can’t do anything to make up for it. Here’s $25 for your inconvienience.

Today, October 1st update: since posting I have received a few emails from Sprint saying they want to help resolve the issue. They give me a number saying “this is an escalated path.” When you call you just get an agent that knows nothing about your problems and cannot do anything for you. The most recent email said “I have researched your account and I am sorry, there is no documentation
    of any supervisors promising you a new phone. It is documented where you
    have had your Optimus replaced however.” Of course they didn’t document it, they were just lieing to me, passing me on and on until finally I got an honest supervisor who told me the truth. They don’t seem to care about making their customers feel satisfied. One agent actually told me that Sprint does not have an obligation to provide us with a working phone!!!! They provide us a phone as a “courtesy.”

13. Helene says:

My predictive text is also giving me names from my contact list instead of from general vocabulary. Hopefully, we’ll get an update soon.

14. Dumbocat says:

I have had similar problems, like no spell suggestion, the black/neon green. Further more I got a message that read damaged sd card??? (fairly new) and then would not work until I replaced it with a new one. As far as I can tell, I didn’l lose any info. However, problems charging and if I enable data my battery runs hot and dies very quickly. I have learned to turn off data when I am not directly using, but hen have to turn on to do simple task like texting or googling. Not exactly how I wanted to use this phone. Just left my phone at Sprint…they claim they just got software in that will reverse or remove the update.

15. C694 says:

Screen font size shrank. Dictionary messed up. Sd card malfunctioning.

16. Kfice32 says:

Can I take my phone to Sprint and have them remove the update? My biggest issues are no predictive text on the keyboard, the screen is smaller, the cut and paste feature is horrible now, the colors are hard to see the notifications as easily, the usb won’t charge the phone and I have trouble accessing the data even when I’m sitting right next to the signal/modem!! There are several more but these are the most bothersome. Thanks.

17. Masterofenergy says:

I had my phone reverted back to the 2.2.2 and it still had problems. They gave me a new LG Optimus S with 2.2.2 and the only problem is once I activate my gmail account on phone I cannot change the ringtone. The Sprint technician at the store told me it was a problem with the software and he couldn’t fix it. I am going to contact LG tech support. I love the phone when it works:) I can live with the ringtones as they are, he did a hard reset and I set them to what I wanted before setting up my gmail.

18. TW says:

Spint just needs to come up with an update to fix this ASAP or just start replacing with new phones.

19. st says:

Ever since I updated to Gingerbread, nothing has been working correctly on my LG Optimus S. Predictive text is the least of my worries. My phone randomly shuts off and won’t turn back on unless I remove & re-seat the battery. It has shut off by itself at least 15 times in the last week or so, during the day, middle of the night, really whenever it feels like it! Also, my Gmail is not syncing correctly and at times, I cannot dial phone numbers. I even removed a bunch of apps that no longer work! This is awful, please come out with a fix ASAP!!!!

20. Zhara says:

I’m experiencing all but one of the problems you listed (device not recognized when connected to a pc). I’m also having a couple that you didn’t list.

First, my touch screen is extremely temperamental now. Sometimes it is too sensitive, clicking on things numerous times, and other times it doesn’t want to respond at all. Swype is unusable bc the screen constantly “catches” when sliding. In fact it’s taking me forever to type this review bc I have to constantly correct words due to the screen issues…

Second, my apps are constantly freezing and/or force closing. The same apps worked fine before this lovely update. I hope the fix comes out soon, this is beyond frustrating!

21. HerpDerpSprint says:

Screen is jumpy/laggy
    Lost predictions on keyboard – fixed by installing gingerbread keyboard app but app is laggier than oem kb
    Can no longer use headphone jack for calls
    Various audio problems – audio stops working until reboot sometimes, ringtones change or stop working, etc.
    Can’t transfer or charge through USB – fixed by reinstalling LG drivers.
    Apps force closing that worked fine before – to be expected with any OS update I guess.

Really loved the phone before this update…

22. Herpderpsprint says:

Screen is jumpy/laggy
    Can no longer use headphone jack for calls
    Can’t transfer or charge through USB – fixed by reinstalling LG drivers.

Really loved the phone before this update…

23. Khergert says:

this software update is bad in every way possible. Don’t they test these at all before auto updating thousands or hundreds of thousands of phones ? It would also be nice if I could see the outline of the phone key numbers again.

24. jsturg says:

yes they will set it back to the previous os. I had mine done about a week ago. Phone started rebooting every 5 minutes

25. Fred Claus says:

lg looks to me like a bunch of amateurs……

26. Johnnykeys7 says:

Sprint needs to hurry uup and fix these dam problems wr shouldn’t have to work around anything i have been running around fir a week been to two diff stores and they still can’t downgrade the software sprint refuses to exchange the dam phone and everytime i call i get told something new time to cancel my service and go with another company enough is enough..

27. Tcerami says:

I just said “screw it” and got me a used Palm phone running webOS. Dead OS, perhaps… Reliable and smooth running, yes! Just needs better hardware to make it a kick ass phone.

28. Btwoodward says:

Yep. Getting the constant message that SD card has been removed or is ready to remove. :( also had the predictive text disappear, but installed gingerbread keyboard from the android store and resolved that.