• Sat, Nov 29th, 2014

Sprint Ending Premier Program

Posted In News - By Mark Hearn On Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 6:01pm PST With 38 Comments

Starting tomorrow notification letters will be sent out to Sprint Premier customers advising them that the rewarding program is coming to an end. Our beloved Super Spies have sent in a saddening piece of intel, which confirms this change in policy. Existing Premier customers will maintain their benefits until December 31, 2012. After this customers will automatically be switched to the “New for You” upgrade program, which allows an upgrade every two years. It seems that Sprint is making a lot of changes lately and to be honest we’re not too fond of them. We just hope whatever their motivation is for doing this is well worth it.

1. this sucks! if they end the unlimited plan then i m leaving sprint. this is a slap in the face to the customers who have the higher priced plans and who have been with sprint for 10+ years.

2. I liked my once a year upgrade! :(

3. The “Sprint advantages” are decreasing day by day.

Exactly, I just made 10 years this month.

Exactly, I just made 10 years this month.

6. I know they are trying to save money but is getting the iPhone really worth it?? Verizon is looking better and better. If they ditch the unlimited plan….I am going red! Sure do miss the NFL they used to have. :(

7. I know they are trying to save money but is getting the iPhone really worth it?? Verizon is looking better and better. If they ditch the unlimited plan….I am going red! Sure do miss the NFL they used to have. :(

8. DC_Nick says:

Hopefully, Sprint is “cutting the fat” from other areas/rewards programs in efforts to keep their unlimited data competitive advantage solvent. I’d much rather keep unlimited data than get a new phone every year. Plus, Best Buy’s mobile phone buy-back program includes incentives for phone upgrades.

9. DC_Nick says:

10. DC_Nick says:

11. Stevesanders Mobile says:

This explains why i never received a notice to be first to buy the new epic touch,,,,,ive been with sprint going on 15 years now. They are slowly but surely losing my loyalty,,,,

His left hand is cropped out because its giving us the finger.

13. Rc says:

This absolutely sucks, Im not sure what the motivation is here but they are becoming no different then the rest . . .

14. Rc says:

15. SprintFan says:

I think they will eventual get rid of the unlimited plan, but that is the only thing holding me. Once they ditch the unlimited plan it doesn’t make sense to stay with a company that has half the coverage that Verizon have.

16. just me says:

unfortunately we are the ones who have demanded more, bigger, cool, faster, dual this, and 25 megapixel that phones. this is probably one of the way carriers help pay for it. I think unlimited data is all that will stay and even that will end one day. as long as all these cool choices keep coming my way then i’m a happy camper.

17. Daniel Bobke says:

You might be surprised what will happen if you allow your contract to expire and then tell them where you might take your business…it tends to get a response. I am in agreement with many here that the unlimited plans are really the only thing that differentiates Sprint anymore. I have been with Sprint since before it was Sprint (PacBell Cellular, AirTouch, etc.) and they have to show some value to the long-term customers that provide them all that recurring revenue.

I think a consumer campaign is in order…

18. janderson534 says:

Im about to reach my 10 yearship with sprint next year so after i use my upgrade this year i will be eligible to upgrade my phone the same exact time next year. However since next year will be the last year for annual upgrades since the premier perks end 12/31/12, if they dont let me keep my annual upgrades and they take away the unlimited internet i will definetly be leavng sprint,especially since i work at radioshack that allows me to get a discount on my bill from any of the 4 major carriers. Seeing as how verizon has the strongest coverage of the 4 that will most likely be the direction i will head because i feel that for someone that has been loyal for 10 years,some type of special treatment is in order. I do have choices and im not obligated to stay, there are choices.

19. I can see unlimited coming to an end now.

20. Douglas Kerr says:

It doesn’t seem you will get treated special for being a Verizon or AT&T customer. Why insist that Sprint give you special treatment? I’m not an apologist for Sprint, but it is quite obvious that this Gold Premier program was costing them way too much money.

21. Joy says:

Right?! They will only do what we let them do. Case in point. They had the nerve to downgrade my premier status 3 months ago. I only found out when I tried to upgrade. Under the old stipulations one had to either A.) Be an account holder in good standing (I paid my bill on time EVERY month for years) or B.) A customer of 10yrs or more. MIND YOU I HAD UTILIZED MY PREMIER STATUS A YEAR AGO AND TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF THE EARLY UPGRADE. So I wasn’t new to the program. Long story short, I go to upgrade from a HTC HERO to the EPIC 4G, and they tell me I’m not eligible for the early upgrade and that I’d been downgraded to silver status. So I immediately pointed out that not only did I pay on time every month but I’d been with them since 2001. The rep without thought tells me, “No you’ve only been a customer for 9yrs, 9 months and 27 days. Not 10 years.” WTF?! Who says that?

Needless to say after I got through with Sprint not only did I get my early upgrade reinstated, but I got one on my second line which wasn’t even eligible. Lol! I second your motion. A consumer campaign needs to begin immediately.

The happy guy in the announcement is a classy touch. Sprint FTL, they are seriously sucking ass lately.

23. Dschoms says:

My guess is that they see the iphone and ipad as cash cows and feel that they can take a tougher stance with their customers by not giving perks to retain them. Obviously the unlimited data plan is a huge attraction and hopefully it will continue. I’ve only used my Gold status once (last week) to upgrade and it looks like I’ll have one more chance next year and you can bet that it won’t be for anything labeled Crapple. So hopefully the best phone since sliced bread will make an appearance on the former Now network before the end of 2012.

Ignore this.

Ignore this.

26. upset says:

if sprint DOESnt come out with the iphone , i will be taking my buisness Elsewhere, and i have been with sprint from the beginning ! Sprint so far to me has been one let down after another and if they dont manup and sell this awesome phone like the other three carrier then im done cuz they show NO IMPROVEMENTS!!!

27. D Smoke says:

God damn it, this sucks I’m gonna hit my 10 year mark in Jan

28. I’ve been with sprint over 10 years, I’ve been on the Premier status, for about 3 years because of my time with Sprint but also because of my plan, which cost me $350 a month.
    I have 5 phones on my account. I’ve stuck with Sprint because of the unlimited plains, and the Premier Program which allowed me to upgrade every year on my primary phone, which Is my phone.
    I also like the fact that they didn’t charge you for everything, like the Navigation, they did at first but changed it to no cost under the unlimited data plan. I do a lot of traveling and I’ve put up with bad reception in some areas of the country because I loved Sprint. But if they wind up changing their data plans, or start to throttle down their data speeds, and with the stopping of the Premier program, it just might be time to switch, SPRING.. please start thinking about your Premier clients,,, those of us who have stuck with you for years, and who are spending those higher plans.

29. Kyk1835 says:

11+ years sprint cusomer, WTF sprint? Guess they need to make up the millions of dollars they are losing per year!!!

30. Heard at a recent Sprint marketing committee meeting: “Hey, how do we piss off our longest and most loyal customers? I know, why don’t we…”

31. Jegnls says:

This is B@#%%^it. Been with Sprint 12 years, only reason I’m staying is the unlimited data. If Sprint drops unlimited data, I’m gone.

Why not keep the program, and exclude certain high-priced, low-margin phones from being eligible? Don’t offer the latest and greatest phones at deep and early discounts right away. Instead, wait 3-6 months after launch, then make them eligible. It will probably let Sprint make more money on the sales of the hottest, newest phones, and still show some appreciation for their most senior customers.

I’m eligible for one last annual upgrade in February. It’s going to make me choose very wisely. I was able to get out of my Samsung Moment after one year…I can’t imagine having to deal with that phone for a full two years! I don’t care if my next phone isn’t right on the bleeding edge, as long as it’s stable, and has more support than most Samsung products. (Sorry, that’s for another rant.)

33. Bryan Best says:

I agree. I’ve been with Sprint for 11 years and they should do something for it’s loyal, long-time members.

34. Trusting_him says:

I just received my letter from Sprint regarding the Premier Program…unlike the information stated above, my upgrade eligibility ends on 6/30/2012 and not 12/31/2012. Other benefits will end on 12/31/2011. I’m officially in mourning over the end of this program :-(

35. Lisa Williams says:

I feel like they were over-ambitious with their “Premier” status. They offered it to anyone who was on a plan of a certain value as well as just loyalty to those who have been long-time members. Since SPRINT already offers pretty competitive pricing, they shouldn’t have added the “value tier” to the program. Your savings is the value you get from what you pay for service. They should still honor the loyalty program for customers who have been with them for 10+years. That is a HUGE commitment, especially in this day and age when people jump cellphone providers like they change their clothes. I too have been with SPRINT since before they were even called SPRINT and there should definitely be some extra perks or incentives for those of us who have shown that level of loyalty.

36. Bucket0Chicken says:

Does this mean I can get out of my contract with them and jump ship?

37. Geno Ventimiglia says:

Unlimited data plans are only necessary with Sprint because of the frustrating slow speeds. The same tasks can be completed in a fraction on other networks. But if your a sprint cusstomer you need unlimited time to do the same task. This slows down the whole network for everybody, making downloads take even longer. Today I was unable to pull up the android market to download a new app. My buddy was able ti pull it up in less than three seconds and download the app in 11 seconds. I gave up after 10 minutes if trying and list a bar of battery. Pathetic. It’s sad that Sprint was a premier company but canceled their premier status. I’ve got five lines and will jump ship when our contacts expire.

38. PREMIER CLASSACTION says:

Hello All:
    I’m working closely with the State’s Attorney office and am assissting in preparing a class action lawsuit for the Premier Program “bait and switch” that Sprint pulled on everybody (myself included). …The primary issue being the fact that 12month upgrades were not honored.
    Does anybody have any original document stating that the Premier Plan offered 12month upgrades? (Specifically, something prior to the change to the silver/gold tiered program) I’m looking for any flyers,mailings,contracts, etc.. If so, please e-mail them to me(black out any personal information). We are finally getting the ball rolling on this need to get as much documentation as possible.
    -Email to: Premier.ClassAction@gmail.com
    Also feel free to include a *brief* explaination of how your contract terms may have been violated by the ending of the Premier program.
    Thanks, Pete