• Sun, Oct 26th, 2014

Sprint Will Keep Unlimited Data with iPhone 5

Posted In News - By Joe Fedewa On Friday, September 9th, 2011 9:34am PDT With 9 Comments

We’ve pretty much come to accept the fact that the next iPhone will be gracing the Now Network, but there still is a lot of speculation about what impact it will have. Maybe the most important of which is Sprint’s Unlimited Data and whether or not the iPhone will force Sprint to go tiered. Bloomberg has some good news to report:

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) will offer Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone next month with unlimited data service plans to distinguish itself from rivals AT&T Inc. (T) and Verizon Wireless, according to people familiar with the matter.

Sprint, the third-largest U.S. wireless carrier, plans to begin selling the device in mid-October under a deal with Apple for the next model, the iPhone 5, said the people, who wouldn’t be identified because the plans aren’t public. Becoming the country’s only operator to offer the device with unlimited data service for a flat fee may help Sprint draw customers from AT&T and Verizon Wireless, which already carry the phone, they said.

So that’s pretty good news, right? Hopefully the “people familiar with the matter” turn out to be right. This has the potential to bring in a lot of new customers to Sprint. If AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint all have the same iPhone, consumers will choose based on plan pricing, and I think we can all agree Sprint will win that battle.

Also, Bloomberg reports that Sprint is delaying a 4G phone to accommodate for the iPhone’s debut. We’re not exactly sure what phone that could be.

via Bloomberg

About - Joe is a tech enthusiast. He's been interested in phones ever since he used his first one. Since then he's evolved from flip phones to smartphones, and become even more obsessed with everything in mobile tech. He brings his fresh style of tech blogging and graphic design skills to SprintFeed.

1. Daniel Bobke says:

So if that bit of news pans out, do we think that there might be a large influx of former AT&T and Verizon customers? I know if I was an iPhone user (God forbid) and had an opportunity to go unlimited by switching carriers, I would seriously consider it. What I am afraid of in this scenario is that Sprint’s network will start to feel the weight of a large influx of users and Sprint’s reaction will be to ultimately tier the data plans.

I agree. Not to mention, there has been a lot of talk about enhancing their 4G Network. There’s no way the new iPhone is going to have 4G, so does that mean Sprint will have to pour more resources into their 3G Network? If so, will their 4G plans be hampered by this? I know a lot of people are very excited about the prospect of the iPhone, and I know investors are seeing “$$$”, but logistically, it could end up being a headache. Let’s say someone is due for an upgrade in January, and has been experiencing slow down for 3 months because of all of the new network traffic. Will they make the jump to Verizon, in spite of the tiered plans? If you’re a user who uses less than 2GB a month, you might make that jump just to have a faster connection. Alas, I don’t work for Sprint. I’m sure they’ve done their homework and know what they’re doing. My contract was up a month ago, but I’m waiting until the slew of October phones are announced before I make my decision.

3. Eludium Q36 says:

As soon as ATT and Vzn sense defections they can easily offer unlimited data plans too, albeit at higher cost than Sprint’s but that doesn’t seem to matter to 200 million subscribers.

I still won’t believe that sprint is getting an iPhone until apple says so.

Bloomberg is reputable, they wouldn’t run with it if it weren’t confirmed by multiple sources to be true.

Dood, even Ray Charles can see this one coming. You that guy living under the rock in those Geico commercials?

8. Nybravest says:

I can’t see why anyone would get a phone as of now that can’t give you all the benefits of what the “carrier” is offering. In other words… If the iphone can’t utilize 4G then what’s the point? I’m moving forward, not going back. I’m hanging out with my 3d evo and yes, I’ll be nice enough to wifi my phone so that my fellow iphone users can experience 4G.
    I’m a nice guy :-)

9. Palakiko says:

As a long time dedicated sprint member I am excited for this phone to be coming to this carrier. I am the type of person that likes to see the underdog come up in the world. Therefore glad that the carrier underdog sprint making way!! Just like everyone else that is aware of the tech world and is a sprint member we are in hoping that we dont see any stop to this “unlimited everything” plan.