• Sat, Dec 20th, 2014

Could Sprint Have Something up Their Sleeve?

Posted In Editorials - By Mark Hearn On Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 2:16pm PST With 29 Comments

After several years of waiting, Apple officially announced yesterday during their iPhone media event that Sprint would finally be getting the iPhone. Of course you loyal Sprintsters know this already, because we found out together. But if you were to ask Joe Q. Public, he might be a bit in the dark about the Now Network’s latest addition. Even if you try going to Sprint’s website it doesn’t make things any better. There’s not a single photo of what is easily the biggest handset in the company’s history. We’re now twenty-four hours removed from the big day and not a single peep has come from the Sprint camp.

We’re not too sure when Sprint relocated to Bizzaro World, but something doesn’t seem right. Yes, we’re very much aware that there’s a big conference call set for this Friday, but why wait so long to say something? This is a very unconventional approach for Sprint. For example, during Samsung’s big Galaxy S II event, Sprint immediately pulled the trigger and sent out a press release dishing the goods on the Samsung superphone. Sure this is Apple we’re talking about and yes things get done differently when dealing with them, but what about the competition? Go to Verizon and AT&T’s websites and the first thing you see is the iPhone 4S in all its glory. So what gives? Could it be that there’s more than what meets the eye?

What if Sprint has something up their sleeve? Something bigger than most could imagine? We’re talking more along the lines of what people were expecting yesterday. Could it be that Sprint is playing possum in order to steal the spotlight? It was rumored by both the Wall Street Journal and BGR that Sprint had bet the house on the iPhone in a risky but blockbuster deal to exclusively carry the iPhone 5. Of course Apple’s event told another story. But we wonder how could two highly credible publications throw up such a brick? Perhaps someone zigged where they should have zagged? Or could it be that Sprint is planning on announcing the iPhone 5 during their highly publicized conference call on October 7th?

We know that this is all a shot of a cannon, but we’re really trying to understand why Sprint is keeping so quiet. By almost all accounts they should be throwing confetti around and doing the happy dance, but they’re not. They’re not saying or doing anything and that’s just plain weird. Hopefully we’ll see something soon, but at least for now we’ll go into October 7th’s conference call with casual expectations at best.

1. Phawx says:

It would be quite unlike Apple to allow another company to highlight something as big as the iPhone 5. I don’t think it’s going to happen.

2. Alan Mundy says:

Don’t kid yourself. What’s easier to believe, that Sprint mishandled a product launch, or that Apple is going to put out a Sprint exclusive product and announce it on a conference call?

3. Guest says:

I doubt it, but for you’d expect they would want more than just the iPhone everyone else is getting(minus Tmobile), for the supposed $20B.

4. johnnyb says:

Sprint might, however, launch iPad in addition to iPhone 4S. Nothing new from Apple, but a whole new line from Sprint would be worth a Sprint special event.

5. Grant Gubser says:

Agreed. Although it would be absolutely incredible, it is wishful thinking at best to think an apple product would be announced by another company, let alone over a conference call.

It would not be COMPLETELY out of the picture though for APPLE to announce a new phone on Friday, but still very wishful thinking.

6. Grant Gubser says:

I think you’re definitely on to something here, it is EXTREMELY suspicious that Sprint is so quiet on everything. WHY, I have absolutely no idea…

7. Grant Gubser says:

Answer: a. Sprint mishandled a product launch… (there could be a third option though)

8. did you think that the first 4G iphone would be released on Sprint’s WiMax network? I am sure Apple has a contract somewhere that gives AT&T and or Verizon the first 4G phone. Sprint is getting Apple crumbs and Apple is hedging their bet with a CDMA phone. Sprint being the low price leader of the big 3 is what keeps it going and getting excellent phones like the Photon and GSII 4G Touch.

9. N5CJT says:

Me thinks they are gonna have their own 4s anouncement. sprint has always been a lone ranger about anouncing phones. I just wish they would fix their coverage. i don’t know how much more i can take.

10. N5CJT says:

with sprints poorly designed EVDO and Wimax network, i am surprised that apple is allowing them to carry it. We’ll see what happens friday!

11. SprintFan says:

There won’t be an Iphone Wimax not a chance especially when the baby bells are Apple top of the line partners .The baby bells websites already have the Iphone 4S on display with the announcement of pre orders start on the 7th. I think Sprint should fix its network and expand it otherwise they will be the Tmobile in a couple of years. The baby bells are run by sharks and now Sprint better be get ready for the attacks of both them in commercials.

Yes we know Sprint has the unlimited data plan, but that doesn’t fly with customers that believe Sprint has terrible coverage. I said it before and I said it again I didn’t really care about the Iphone announcement. What I care is what is the plan regarding their network on Friday. Verizon customers keep paying a lot of money for plans because they believe Verizon offers the best coverage. I can’t explain why AT&T has over 90 millions of customers because they are terrible in all front.

12. Stephen says:

I hope you are correct. My greatest desire from this Friday’s Sprint conference call: 1. finally announce a clear vision and plan for developing a high speed network (I am not talking about improving the 3g network. I am talking about what Verizon, Tmobile, and ATT are already doing to upgrade their networks) and 2. announce something, other than unlimited data, that will differentiate Sprint from the competition (example: Wallmart and Tmobile are introducing 100 minutes of talk combined with unlimited data for $30 a month – thinking outside of the box, not for everybody, but a great deal for data hogs like me).
    Pure speculation – maybe sprint announces free Iphones with a new two year contract ( I do not think they could do this, given the cost that carriers are reported to have to pay Apple. This would probably not be reasonable financially . However, Sprint needs to separate itself from the competition. Three out of four networks now have the Iphone and all four have similar phones. So far Sprint has been telling the customer that unlimited data and slightly less expensive plans are the determining factor, yet Sprint continues to see the number of contract customers dwindle. We will see if this changes Friday.

13. DavidC says:

From what the district manager at the sprint store has told me,and seeing a bunch of different Sprint service trucks running around, and the crazy coverage I’ve been having (dropping evdo for a time then getting 1 meg down) I think they are going to announce something amazing on Friday. EVDO rev B is as fast as the LTE (15 mbps down), plus those new relays Sprint bought from Samsung that can handle LTE,Wimax, and CDMA. I hope this happens!

14. Gerryf19 says:

What is the most notable thing Steve Jobs says near the end of every big Apple event…..: “One more thing….”

What did not happen at the Apple Event? “One more thing…”

15. Jack Thomas says:

I was in an apple store today. They told me that the Sprint version of the phone is probably NOT going to be ready at the same time as the other versions. Check the website it says the Sprint version is “Coming soon.”

16. Sdrice66 says:

I’m a Sprint Premier customer and if I log onto my account I can pre-order the iPhone 4 now. There is a note that says I can order the iPhone 4s on Oct 7th.

17. Kevin Hart says:

IPhone 4s now on sprint website

18. Dave says:

THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FROM SPRINT ON FRIDAY: We are getting the iPhone!!!!! That is all.

19. sloanie says:

Sprint now has the iPhone 4s on their front page when you go there. Strange that it took them over a day to do it!

I’d be kind of surprised if it was another iPhone, or really anything to do with Apple. They have talked about Friday’s conference call as being Network Vision related. Also, why would Apple risk the bad press they’ve gotten over the 4S, only to announce the blockbuster 5 a few days later for the number 3 carrier? Doesn’t make sense.

Maybe their Vision upgrades are further along than anyone realizes. Perhaps they start lighting the rev B network in key markets. Whatever it is, it will hopefully be E4GT interesting, not Echo lame.

I think this is pretty much a given, it’s just a question of when. Not really a blockbuster announcement type deal though.

Sprint still differentiates itself in two key ways. They still offer unlimited data for phones. While the differential is narrowing, they still have the price advantage.

It will probably be the complete portrait of their network upgrades, including how the Nextel spectrum reclamation, LightSquared and Clearwire bits fit into place. Considering the Network Vision mantra has been floating out in the ether for quite some time, perhaps they are much farther along than anyone realizes.

23. SERO-P says:

What I want to know is if Sprint will let SERO-P customers get the iphone 4s or the iphone 4!

Don’t see why they wouldn’t since it goes by the same rules as current Smart Phones so far, unless they decide to throw something special into the mix. That also means it shouldn’t require the $10 4G fee since it’s not a 4G capable device.

25. Bill S says:

Nationwide roll out of 800MHz LTE and expansion/launch of 2.5GHz Wimax/LTE in 2012/13 would be the best thing Sprint could announce. I’d love to actually use the 4g in my epic but Metro-Detroit doesn’t rate coverage for some reason

26. lindsi says:

sprint doesn’t have a 4G fee…its a premium data fee and ALL smartphones (except one) require the premium data fee

Again, Sprint does have a 4G fee; it applies to those people that have SERO Premium plans. It’s specific to those plans. If you get a non-4G phone, smartphone or otherwise, no additional $10/month. If you get a 4G phone, you’ll pay an additional $10/month.

28. Ty says:

I’ve looked everywhere for the answer to this question. Sprint hasn’t said anything even though they’ve been asked directly on Twitter and by phone arena (at least they asked sprintfeed). Like usual if you call, tech’s know less than you do. I am really tired of these horrible product launches.

29. qdiddy says:

Can you access data during a phone call with the Sprint iPhone?