• Thu, Aug 21st, 2014

How Often do You Switch Phones?

Posted In Polls - By Mark Hearn On Monday, October 24th, 2011 2:57pm PDT With 20 Comments

Over the past few months Sprint customers have been treated to a wide variety of smartphones, but how does a customer manage to keep up with the speed of competition? It seems like a “must have” smartphone gets announced almost every two to three months. Due to the nature of what I do, I get the opportunity to interact with the majority of popular smartphones that hit the market. However this led to me wondering, how on Earth does the average consumer keep up with such madness? Which leads to my question, how often do you switch phones? Be sure to leave a comment explaining your situation and explaining your techniques in acquiring new devices. For example I know quite a few people that buy phones new with their discount and sale them online only to buy another phone several months later. Does this sound like you?

[poll id="41"]

1. Kevin Hart says:

Only when needed. My hero needed to be replaced about a year ago because it was really slowing down. My Evo is now getting to that point so im glad I have an upgrade coming up first of the year!

2. Tommy Thompson says:

To give an idea…My first smartphone was the Mogul, then switched to the Diamond, then the Moment to the Evo to the Epic 4G to the Nexus S and finally the Epic Touch 4G..

There was a year or so where I would switch every month (always ended up back with my a900, though). Ever since my first Treo, though, I’ve slowed down dramatically.

4. Kgbj83 says:

I have a phone problem. I switch whenever something catches my though I’ve slowed down. My first smartphone was the Treo 600, then switched to, the Treo, 650, Treo 700p and 700w, the Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Samsung Moment to the EVO, EVO 3D and finally the Epic Touch 4G.

Lately, every time a new phone comes out! I have the Evo 3D, the Motorola Photon 4G, and the Samsung Epic Touch 4G and I move in between the ” Three Titans” of Sprint. So far I have had the best experience with the Samsung Epic Touch. I’m currently waiting on the Laptop Dock for the Photon to come out soon so I can swap back into my Photon 4G for a bit. Then soon I’ll probably be the first in line for the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out for Sprint, I just totally skipped the iPhones….. though I might get the 64GB version, but I’m not an Apple fan….. who knows…..

6. Randy Meek says:

I used to upgrade about once a year but since Sprint took away the annual upgrade I don’t know what I’m gonna do but I will figure it out.

7. Lovmykugl says:

I don’t switch that often…Im far from an early adopter. You guys should read the article on Todays iPhone about the Sprint data problems with iphone4s. Even though I contacted their media relations and they refused to admit any problem, that article states that there is a definite ‘nationwide issue’ and that maybe the Sprint network cannot handle the iPhone data and Sprint is going to be forced to soon put the kibosh on the unlimited data plans, which would suck since thats the one differentiation point for them.

8. Jesse Harris says:

I can only afford to upgrade when my contract is up. I’ve been keeping my Moment limping along with periodic software refreshes from SDX Developers (looking forward to Gingerbread in the near future) which is about the only thing that makes this aging hardware worth anything.

9. Phillip Noisewater says:

I purchase the Hero the weekend it came out and used it the backlight for the LCD display stopped working. I rooted that baby and slapped CM6.0 then 6.1 on it. XDA extened the life of my phone so I was not worried about the upgrade. My acctivated my BB 8830 when the Hero passed and am waiting diligently till mid-november when the Nexus Prime shows it’s self. BTW, I am one of the few Premier Gold customers and I wait till I have an upgrade.

Until I got my first smartphone, I hung onto my phones till they died. I had a Sanyo flip phone for literally 7 years leading up to June 2009 when I finally let it retire and got a Palm Pre, which was a huge improvement.

Unfortunately, it was still a Palm Pre, so 22 frustrating months later I got a Samsung Epic. I really do need a keyboard on my phone, because I use Connectbot to do real work on it and virtual keyboards take up way too much screen, in addition to being impossible to use for touch typing. The Epic is already way behind in terms of software support, CM7 doesn’t support its GPS or camera last I saw, and I know that by the time its 22 months are up, I’ll be dying for a newer model just because of software support or the lack thereof. I just hope I can find one with a keyboard that’s as good when that time comes.

So, my answer before 2009 was “ride it until the wheels fall off”, but now it’s “only when eligible for renewal”.

11. Cecil says:

Do you pay an activation fee every time you swith between the phones? If yes, how much? If no, how do you get out of it?

No, there is no fee, you can switch between phones through your Sprint account online. When you are logged in, by your account info where the picture of your phone is, there is a drop down box. Select the “Activate New Device” and you will have to input the ESN of the phone you want to swap into. Your new phone will be active shortly after that.

Premier Gold and Silver program no longer exists. So many customers complained when they came into my store and we had to tell them the bad news. Sprint sent out letters to everyone explaining the cancellation of the program. I would call customer service to find out if they will honor your status…… but when it was canceled a few months back, Sprint extended or validated the upgrade eligibility to customers for only a month after the program was canceled.

14. D Smoke says:

At least once a year. My last few phones the TP, TP2, evo & now evo3D. I have 2 upgrades right now, one on my personal line and I use my work phone upgrade for my personal account so I can usually get a new phone at least once a year if not more sometimes I can use other lines on my work account. My personal line would have qualified for Sprint Premier this Jan would have been 10 years sucks they got rid of it. I have 2 upgrades ready to go right now so prob use one soon and I need to make sure to save one for an LTE device next year.

15. Anton Frost says:

When I was with AT&T and was eligible for annual upgrades, I’d look at what was available and if there was a phone I wanted, I would do it. Since Annual upgrades are now a thing of the past, I will wait it out and keep the iPhone 4S for the length of my contract. I’m not going to pay full price for any phone. Just not worth it.

Ever since I was 18 and had my own phone line, I been switching phones at least once a year. Around 6 months or so, something better comes out and I like staying up-to-date with technology in general. I always have the latest Windows software, and update my CPUs hardware once a year too. I have had 10 different smartphones in the last five yrs. Technology is always changing, and if you want to be the “go-to-guy” you have to change with it…or at least know about it first hand

Everytime a new one comes out.

Used to do it whenever something came out I liked but now that money is funny, it’s about once a year. I am getting older now and have many more important things to put my money towards, plus there just isn’t any way to keep up with the new phones coming out so fast now, it’s a waste of time and money. It’s true what they say, “With age, comes wisdom.” :)

19. You only pay the activation fee when you get a new phone. Not when you actually activate them.

20. Adam Brown says:

Smartphones are for idiots. Just another way technology is making people lazier and fatter. I bet most of you can’t wait until you never have to leave your house, just go to school and work and hangout with friends right there on your stupid phone.