• Thu, Oct 30th, 2014

Motorola PHOTON 4G Set to Get Software Fix This Week

Posted In News - By Mark Hearn On Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 1:45pm PDT With 10 Comments

A potential deal breaker when buying an Android phone is the manufacturer’s and carrier’s ability to provide needed software updates. Google seems to always be working on the next build of their dessert themed software and no one wants to be stuck with last years flavor. Aside from keeping up with Android’s OS numbers, smartphones also encounter the occasional bug or two. This is also a critical point where consistent carrier and manufacture support are a must. If you’re a Motorola PHOTON 4G owner, you’ve most likely slept fairly well these past few months. Sprint and Motorola have done a bang up job rolling out software updates for the business savvy world phone and aren’t showing any signs of slowing down. Word around the campfire is that Sprint will be kicking out another software update for the PHOTON (we’re hearing tomorrow), which will add: Google video chat, a social location app, and fix an issue with the phone’s proximity sensor. Be sure to keep your eyes out for a possible over-the-air push in the next few days.

Thanks Antonio

via: XDA

1. William says:

sweet too bad im switiching from moto photn4g to samsung GS2 E4GT, EPIC Success!

too late..im taking it back and getting the iphone 4s. All my friends say I wont have to worry about the issues written in this article anymore.

3. Its ok, I still want one #sprintfeedphoton

4. Gator Sdibari says:

I actually just switched out my fourth photon the phone is not very good at all. I switched to the E3D (it was my only choice) surprisingly its a really good phone. Battery life suck, but it’s pretty cool. I was against this phone at first, but its fun going back to the evo like platform or Sense.

5. Tino Q. says:

I got my Moto Photon on Sept/17/11 and so far no issues at all, my brother got his Photon the next day I did and hasn’t have any problems either. We really like our Photons, but secretly wish for them to have webOS instead of Android, lol, I know!

Anyway, last year I got the Evo on launch day and didn’t like it, the day the Evo 3D came out I went ahead and got it but returned it after 3 1/2 weeks of use. I tried the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the Photon for about an hour each on Sept/16 and then again for a couple of hours the next day. Finally, the Photon seem like the best device for me, so that’s what I have and no regrests so far, getting an update to use Google video chat will be great since I depend on that to communicate with family in Spain and Mexico. BTW, battery life on the Photon is great!

6. Harrison Lewis says:

I have not had any issues with the Photon… where the Samsung And Evo 3d would not get reception… the Photon got complete signal and 4g…

7. Zchen says:

The number one thing they must fix is the mute call, which often mute on when receiving call, as other side do not hear your voice and dropped call.

8. KevinE says:

I had two NEW photons from sprint and each one wouldn’t ring all the time. All the settings were set correctly. Sometimes it would ring. Then, an hour later it may light up showing an incoming call but no audio, or it would not light up or make any sound. It would however, ring on the calling parties side. In other words, in their ear it would sound normal as if was ringing but on my receiving end…NOTHING. I even called it myself from my home phone and it would do the same thing. Now mind you this is with two totally separate photons. The first one I returned, they ordered me a new one. I picked it up and thought the problem was fixed and there it goes again. The only way to temporarily fix the problem was to turn it off then back on. That was good for about an hour or so. Anybody else experience this?

9. KevinE says:

Hi. Have you noticed any missed calls or received a voice mail but didn’t hear it ring? I returned two photons due to a “No Ring” issue. I really want the phone but it has to ring so I can get my calls. I purchased mine the last week of September from Sprint in Walnut Creek, CA.

10. Swiftfrost35 says:

bought the moto photon and thought it was great, until all my friends, family, and co-workers kept telling me how they couldn’t get ahold of me. So I started testing it, and it appears moto, and sprint have some bugs to work out on this one, because the phone will have very good signal and calls will go straight to voicemail, and if that’s not bad enough, your voicemail will not sound, or show you missed a call for at times at least 4 hours later, and other times the next day! Looking around the net, you can see the same problem everybodys having with this phone/network all around, gotta get it fixed very soon sprint, and moto, or your going to be losing alot of customers! I smell breach of contract on sprints part for failing their obligation as a carrier!