• Wed, Apr 23rd, 2014

Northeast 4G Outage?

Posted In News - By Mark Hearn On Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011 12:36pm PDT With 14 Comments

There have been numerous reports from Sprint customers in Massachusetts (Boston area) and scattered parts of Rhode Island experiencing 4G connectivity failure. According to customer reports on Sprint’s community forums, this alleged issue started around November 17th, with some customers claiming to have experience issues connecting to Sprint’s WiMAX 4G network in normal coverage areas.

The Now Network has experienced its fair share of recent network related woes, but the claim of a such a massive outage has pushed SprintFeed to reach out directly to Sprint in an effort to collect some answers for our beloved Sprintsters. In regards to complaints of a possible Northeast WiMAX outage Sprint spokesperson Crystal Davis had the following to say:

There is no known disruption with our 4G service. We’re still gathering information to determine the cause of the issue some of our customers are experiencing. We ask that they be patient at this time and encourage them to contact customer care so we can more accurately determine the root cause.

If you’re currently located in the areas affected by this mysterious outage, please be sure to tell us about your experience and what device you are using. In the meantime we’ll be keeping in touch with Sprint as they look further into this issue.

“There is no known disruption with our 4G service. We’re still gathering information to determine the cause of the issue some of our customers are experiencing.”

That’s not true. My local sprint store in Boston, MA has acknowledged the problem and said there is no ETA to when it will be fixed. My chat with sprint customer care also acknowledged the issue.

Why is Sprint lying to the media?

2. Steve_pss says:

Sprint’s response is complete utter hogwash. I’m in Rhode Island, and all of Providence, North Providence, Smithfield and Johnston have been without 4G data transfer since at least Friday. I’m very sure the entire state is down, but I only want to confirm what I can personally vouch for.

And this is personally confirmed using both an Evo Shift and Evo 3D. You can connect to 4G, get an IP, but that’s it. If you call Sprint customer service they will either tell you to go to the Sprint store (who will tell you yes, 4G is dead right now) or tell you there is no 4G outage, but you can restore connectivity by turning off 4G and sticking to 3G. Sprint, you really need to get called to the carpet on this one.

3. Tim says:

Can you get to a web site by IP? Is it possibly a DNS issue? Try hard coding 8.8.8.8 in your Primary DNS config?

4. Steve_pss says:

Tim,
    I don’t think you can change DNS on non-rooted phones.

And all data services on the phone don’t work right now when 4G is enabled. If it was a DNS issue, I would assume that just the web browser wouldn’t work. I’ll try going to a static IP address – but I don’t think that’s the issue.

6. Tim says:

Makes sense that you can’t change it. Any luck getting to a static IP?

7. Tim says:

http://74.125.224.72/ will get you to google. Does that work?

8. Steve_pss says:

I’ll test once i’m back in a 4G area, good thinking.

Just tried and no dice.

Looks like the issue is being worked on now by clearwire/sprint.

And problem resolved, after 5 days, sprint fixed it.

11. limpet says:

4g just started working on my Evo 3d for the first time since 17 November.
    Zip 02474.

An outage? Is that what we’re calling it now?

4G? 4G! You’re whining about 4G? Sprint needs to get our damn 3rd world, spotty, fade in-fade out 3G working before they start working on stupid 4G.

14. Brownbrandon87 says:

Okay , so 4g has for me on evo has only worked in or around providence, idk about boston, but now my talk connection wont work in apartment in downtown providence, wtf. Been a sprint customer for years, very dissapointed. the major ive stayed with sprint was because ive never really experienced coverage issues with them like Tmobile or ATT before. I would expect something like this from the public sector, but not a corporation. I expect roads to be shitty, even though I pay major income tax, but not my mobile service. Thats why I pay them, to have service. I cant even call them now to complain, hence…etc, but wow, fyi: sprint ceo, sprint is already struggling to compete, and they have hung in there, but service failure and service interruptions is enough to make people find a new cell provider. Its not all about the gadgetry, sprint has not gone the way General Motors, because of quality service. You people better fix this before the free markets invisible hand does.