• Sun, Nov 23rd, 2014

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Moving Towards a Software Fix?

Posted In News - By Mark Hearn On Tuesday, November 29th, 2011 8:52am PST With 17 Comments

The Samsung Epic 4G Touch is an awesome phone, but nothing is without its flaws. There’s been word that Samsung’s superphone suffers from a signal loss bug that results in the user having to reset their phone to get a signal back. This issue is rumored to be occur when shifting between spotty 3G and 4G coverage areas.

If all of this sounds familiar to you, then we’ve got some good news on the way. According to the folks over at Android Central, the Epic 4G Touch is due for a software fix that is said to be specifically crafted to resolve this very issue. Rumored to come in the form of Android 2.3.6 with a baseband of SPD710.10.S.EK02, the update is said to be under review and targeting a December release.

If you’re one of the unlucky Epic 4G Touch owners experiencing this issue, please share your experience with us and other owners via the comments. We’d also like to know if in addition to this issue, are you experiencing any other bugs with your Epic 4G Touch? In the meantime here’s to hoping that Christmas comes early for you guys in the form of a software update.

Source: XDA via Android Central

1. Memo Cordova says:

I have spotty coverage here in Boise, but thought it had to do with our unsaturated 4G region. However, I do get a roaming warning message whenever my Epic 4G can’t get a signal, even in spotty 3G areas. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

2. The issue isnt so much with the Epic 4G Touch as it is with almost ALL Samsung phones.

When VISION launched in Portland Oregon in 2002, I bought the Samsung N400, and every time I hung up after calling someone, I lost service, the phone searched and then after a minute regained signal. Good thing Sprint offered me “America’s Roaming” for $5.00 (a testing promotion) which allowed me to get signal back on a roaming carrier (Verizon) within seconds. Everyone I know that had this phone had the same issues. People I knew with different Samsung models on Sprint had signal issues that were similar, and for some, it was so bad they switched to VoiceStream/T-Mobile and when they did go back to Sprint they ONLY used Sanyo phones (which in my opinion of testing many of them had and still has the best reception of any Sprint phone)

When I got the Samsung Instinct, I had the same issues where the phone randomly would just not have service for a few seconds randomly when I used it, or went from sleep to wake modes. Often I would then find Id have a call missed in my Visual Voicemail.

While I DONT have the problem on my Nexus S 4G, I think its only a matter of time.

I have come to the conclusion that there is something in common with Samsung phones, chipsets, or something within the CDMA network that just isnt working properly. Like it wasnt optimized as well as Sanyo (whom by the way had a major exclusive deal with Sprint to make phones for them). So… I leave it like that. Samsung on CDMA is like oil and water, it doesnt quite mix well.

3. Id KILL to be in a working unsaturated 4G area. I live in San Francisco Bay Area, and the coverage for 4G blows. The ONLY place that its decent is San Jose, and its on par with 3G from T-Mobile and AT&T and by far slower than 4G on T-Mobile or Verizon.

As for being able to roam, Id KILL to roam as well. Not because Verizon offers better 3G speed or anything (they dont, its only 1xRTT speed while roaming), but because then I can rack up the data and minute usage while roaming and give Sprint the definitive reason that their network sucks so bad that I cant help but roam.

I miss my old BlackBerry Curve that had “HOME ONLY” “AUTOMATIC” “ROAM ONLY” options in it before Sprint removed it. Good thing I saved the old ROM in my computer if I ever find one, I can reload it.

4. TheTechChat says:

I’ve been getting some funky roaming notices on my Motorola Photon as well, as well as needing to toggle 4G multiple times to get it to connect. I’m thinking it’s probably a combination of a bug with the phone and Sprint’s recent flakiness network-wide.

The gps on mine takes a while to get a lock and then has trouble keeping my location up to date while using google navigation

6. quing chi lee says:

probably because samsung steals their technology from everyone else. i would never purchase anything samsung. their stuff is throwaways. they abandon the most recent for the next one. thats why u can get them cheap is because they dont develope them

i just switched carriers because i thought their service sucked, but it turns out it was the phone all along!!!!!
    loooooool!!!! thats the phone i had!!!! boy do i feel wierd!

8. Baileydc22 says:

I have the same issue with my Epic Touch and it will pop into roaming, but this is the same issue that was on the Nexus S. And the nexus S was fixed with a software update, so I am certain this will fix the problem. Other than the random roaming, the phone is amazing.

9. Stephen says:

I have never had the LOS as far as I can tell. I am completely stock if you’re curious. I think this may be related to the “first batch” of phones that were sold on release day. My order was delayed via LetsTalk, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise it seems. I received the phone 6 days after launch, and it seems we got the better (upgraded?) batch. Just a theory.

10. TEE says:

I really hope this update fix the problem I have been dropping calls all day. was traveling in a very rural area. Phone just cut off without any warning. My battery was drained by 1pm.. I hope the update happens dec 2011 not dec 2012. I

11. Tommy Thompson says:

I haven’t had any issues either. Got mine day 1.

12. David says:

Often. VERY often.

13. Jason Hoffman says:

Actually I hadn’t noticed that before yesterday, when I couldn’t get service all day till I was smart enough to reset it. So yeah, that’s happened to me, and I’m glad to hear that it will be fixed. Still won’t be happy till 4.0, though.

14. Peteridder says:

Phone is fast but I use my GPS everyday and it keeps putting my position up to 10 blocks away from where I really am phone is 10 days old I never had this problem with my evo 4g

15. My Transform does this too. So I think it might be a Samsung issue not just with the Epic 4g Touch

16. Duff1942 says:

I’ve had my Samsung Galaxy Epic 4g phone for just a week. This grandma is slow in learning to use the seemingly infinite possibilities, but was loving it until I got a ‘roaming’ signal in my own living room and found I may have to pay extra or pay to restock the phone. Why weren’t we warned?