• Tue, Sep 30th, 2014

Sprint Rolling Out Epic 4G Gingerbread Today, but We’ve Got a Manual Update for You Here

Posted In Featured, News - By Mark Hearn On Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 8:44am PDT With 14 Comments

Did we just see a unicorn? Yes folks, after an agonizing wait, the Samsung Epic 4G is getting an official dose of Gingerbread. Sprint has come clean and confirmed that the software push will start to roll out today. We warn that these things tend to take a few days (normally around four) to reach everybody. However if you can’t wait, grab the zip linked below and follow the steps to perform a manual install.

• Download the update and rename it “update.zip” (without the quotes).
  • Place the newly renamed zip file on your phone’s microSD card.
  • Power off your phone.
  • While holding down the camera button and volume down buttons, power your phone back on.
  • Once the phone boots, the update will automatically begin.
  • Reboot after the update is completely installed.
Source: Sprint
Update Zip and instructions via: XDA

Sorry Sprint, been using this for months already and It doesn’t have any of your bloatware.

2. Stephen says:

Word To The Wise
    Wait and review other phone user’s experiences regarding the update. You can monitor this in any android forum. I did this when Sprint rolled out the HTC EVO 4g update. I am so glad I waited to accept the update for my phone. The update appears to have been a headache for EVO 4g users. Don’t take my word, you can read about it in any of the android forums. I have never updated my phone, as a result of the avalanche of issues that surrounded the update. My phone is running great, just as it always has from the day I purchased it (not sure what I am suppose to be missing, other than headaches).
    It never hurts to wait.

3. Michinmj says:

If I install this, will it wipe everything off my phone, including apps, music, photos, and contacts?

Apps yes. Music, photos are on your SD Card, contacts should be backed up to your google account.

5. Rick Paape says:

Downloaded it and ran the update. Got stuck in a loop, kept bringing up the 4G screen and the glowing Galaxy S logo and then restarting. Using the same method for starting the update (power off, hold volume down, camera and power buttons) and selected system reset and the problem was solved.

I have already noticed that quite a few of the Froyo bugs that I had (i.e. wifi issue, lag) have been fixed.

Still planning on rooting but will wait a few more months.

6. Sdbrady05 says:

and again, a week after i root my phone they release the official update, but with all the negative things i’ve heard so far, i’m not going back. very few issues with my CM7 and getting over 12 hours a charge. not mad at that!

Successfully installed to a never-rooted unit, using the instructions listed here. The phone is just now powering up for the first time, so assessing it’s usability over 2.2 is still yet to be done. But I’m at least past the most dangerous phase of the upgrade, brick-free.

8. Cjkelt5 says:

I installed today and when powered back up all was still there.

9. nlsteele says:

Holy cow Gingerbread is snappier than Froyo on my Epic! Thank you so much for sharing this on the Feed. I would have seen it in XDA eventually, but this is where I go first for news.

10. nlsteele says:

Well worth unrooting for a guy who didn’t run a mod on top of cwm and su. Now to reroot…

11. Longo 13 says:

worked fine on my wifes epic, now to wait for an update or go forth with ice cream sandwhich for my e4gt????

12. Kyle Blackmon says:

Its running so smooth!!! My internet is faster, and it just seems more responsive. I’m glad I went ahead and did it.

13. Decoyoffers says:

It’s about time.

14. Jnorberto says:

I downloaded to my Samsung Galaxy S 4G this morning and went into a loop. Had to do factory reset to get phone running again! Make sure you backup first!!!!