• Fri, Dec 19th, 2014

[Rumor] HTC EVO View 4G Honeycomb Update Arriving Before Year’s End

Posted In News - By Mark Hearn On Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 6:02pm PST With 14 Comments

The official HTC Flyer Honeycomb software push is currently making its way through France. HTC says that the update should be making its stateside debut sometime “very soon.” Some of you may be wondering, how this affects Sprint customers, seeing how the HTC Flyer isn’t a part of Sprint’s roster.

Though the Flyer isn’t a part of the Now Network, its twin cousin the HTC EVO View 4G is. The only real separation between the Flyer and View 4G is said to be their wireless radios. We’ve heard through a few reasonable channels that the EVO View 4G is being primed for its long awaited dose of Honeycomb. The target release period is said to be around the end of December or early January.

If these claims hold true, it will be good to see Sprint’s lone WiMAX slab getting its much needed support. Of course we know that in the land of Android, Honeycomb is going extinct in favor of Ice Cream Sandwich. But the last time we checked, an update is an update and at least this would show that HTC knows how to keep their promises.

1. Tommy Thompson says:

hmmmm still kinda want one of these.

Hopefully this is true. I bought both the Flyer and the View recently, and I’d rather keep the View, but the Flyer will have Honeycomb, so I’m torn.

3. Stan says:

very true

I hope this rumor turns out to be true as I just pulled the trigger and bought one of these. With Honeycomb it should tide me over until I’m ready for something more powerful, maybe around Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2012….

5. Tom says:

Here’s the worst part about it all…. The tablet NEEDS Honeycomb. The Scribe (pen) SDK is really based around it. They released the SDK a while ago to developers, but all examples and documentation assume you are developing for Honeycomb! Further…As it turns out (since people got Honeycomb on there early) other 3rd party apps that may not have even taken into consideration the Scribe, work with the scribe. So let’s be honest here. Exactly zero applications were ever built (because they really couldn’t be as far as I’m concerned – speaking as a developer myself) for the HTC Flyer that utilize the pen. None. It’s terrible. They aren’t making good on their promises…Then we get this crap. Every single version of the stupid tablet gets Honeycomb except those on Sprint. What the hell?

6. Tom says:

…And now, yea…It’s almost time for a new tablet. I’d personally like HTC to buy back my Flyer and pay off the early termination fee for it in addition to the data plan for the past however many months. They sold me a product under false advertising/assumptions and that does not work as expected. You can’t build any Scribe apps until Honeycomb is on there AND the promised Honeycomb update that was supposed to be “soon” has not come yet. Further as a slap in the face, they release it for WiFi only versions. It’s gotta be some sort of fraud of some sort somehow… I don’t know.

Does anyone have an update on this? I’m picking up a View tablet this week, but don’t want to keep if it doesn’t get honeycomb. HTC is not providing any information.

8. Meth says:

funny, so many articles about the rumor. any actual sources?

9. Saligator7 says:

I don’t think so. I can tell you that neither HTC nor Sprint is confirming any future update for the View. The bottom line is that if the View doesn’t receive the Honeycomb update, the decision will be solely Sprint’s since they will have to push the OTA update to their clients. And, if the other rumor that Sprint is discontinuing this tablet is true, then Sprint may not bother updating the device.

I can’t understand why this had to be so difficult, and secretive. For God’s sake, there are thousands of customers in the US who have been waiting patiently for this update for months. The Honeycomb version obviously works, and is ready to push out to customers, as HTC has done in France. So why not push the update to other regions?

10. ddogg says:

Mine is getting the update now Wooo Hooo!!

11. ddogg says:

Update on my device OTA wifi only. Just downloaded and installed it.

12. Cmyrate says:

WOOHOO!!! The Honeycomb update is here!!! down loading it now

13. Culo_Shananagins says:

I hate it… change it BACK!!!