• Fri, Aug 29th, 2014

WebOS Goes Open Source, Booted on an EVO 3D Three Months Ago

Posted In News - By Mark Hearn On Friday, December 9th, 2011 5:29pm PDT With 6 Comments

Earlier today new HP boss Meg Whitman addressed the fate of WebOS. The operating system that got its start on the Now Network via the now defunct Palm Pre is officially going open source. Now before you WebOS smartphone fans start bursting into song and doing the Dance of Joy, it should be noted that Ms. Whitman said “I do not believe we will be in the smartphone business again.”

Such news may be a bit of a downer, but of course there’s always hope! In this case Ryan Hope. A WebOS enthusiast, Mr. Hope beat HP to the punch and managed to get the soon to be free platform booting on an HTC EVO 3D about threes months ago. Again before you WebOS fans start readying your dancing shoes, there’s a bit of a catch here.

Citing that HTC’s EVO 3D has nearly identical hardware to the HP TouchPad, building a port wasn’t impossible. Sadly nothing here works and we mean nothing, the system just boots and that’s about it. Considering many Android open source projects have started this way and that official WebOS source code is on its way, this could possibly be a small glimpse into the near future.

Source: HP, Twitter

1. Marsaccount says:

iPhone 4S + WebOS 2.x = winning? ✈

2. Tino Q. says:

WooHoo!!! Can’t wait to use webOS on my Motorola Photon 4G World Phone!!! Can you imagine that? Hell yeaaaaaa!!!!!

3. Kledanhoj says:

When it is possible to put webOS onto a Sprint Android phone, will it work on the Sprint Network just like any other Sprint Phone?

I would like to try out the web OS port on my Evo 3D when its finished. I enjoyed my Palm Pre when it first came out, but went back to Android to get more apps, better hardware, and more customization.

5. Vance Decker says:

I can’t wait to get my new iphone! Screw webOS and all the issues I have had with my Palm Pre.

SYNERGY??? F-ING PLEASE! What a joke! I have to keep myself from laughing hysterically, every time a brainwashed boob starts yapping about how awesome synergy is…

I still have dozens of corrupt contacts to which I can’t send or receive SMS messages. 3 years later, still no solution other than wiping everything, hunting down all your accounts and wiping the contact from there, and still after all of that you may or may not have fixed the issue. Nobody can tell me where my data is and even if I knew there is no way to manipulate it.

You fools, and myself included for owning this piece of crap, need to get a life. I have better things to do than resetting my phone 50 times and waiting 5-10 minutes for it to start-up in order to fix the simplest of problem and/or User Interface design issues.

6. Vance Decker says:

I think you need to check your math on that.

iphone = won