• Wed, Jul 30th, 2014

EVO 4G, Epic 4G and EVO Design 4G Updates Rolling Out Now

Posted In Featured, News - By Mark Hearn On Thursday, January 19th, 2012 4:26pm PDT With 6 Comments

The Now Network’s mission to rub out Carrier IQ has officially kicked into high gear. Starting today Sprint will begin issuing updates to the EVO 4G, Epic 4G and EVO Design 4G. In addition to providing a “security update” (Carrier IQ removal), the over-the-air updates will also fix a few other device hiccups as well. If you own one of these Androids and have managed to snag the update, we’d love to know how it’s treating you. For those of you still waiting, you’ll find a set of changelogs waiting for you after the break.

HTC EVO 4G

• Security Update
  • Updated Peep client ( to align with Twitter)
  • Battery life improvements

Samsung Epic 4G

• Security update
  • Speaker feedback fix
  • The QIK and Asphalt 5 applications are no longer preloaded. When opening the applications using the application icon, you will be redirected to the Android market to download and install the full application.

HTC EVO Design 4G

• Security Update
  • Updated Peep client (to align with Twitter)
  • Updated Sprint Zone client
  • Battery life improvements
  • 3LM Enterprise Tool Access (no user interface changes)

Source: Sprint (1,2,3)

1. Jaminzero says:

I hope they remove CIQ for the Echo.

Poof it is gone, and poof there it is.. If they can remove it so easily they can put it back just as fast. There will probably be an off switch and some changes to their EULA, but the metrics data is to important to not have.
    Also they announced work to start with Smith Micro. Smith Micro does some of what Carrier IQ also does, and is right up the road from where the beloved Trevor Eckhart works. Kind of makes you scratch your head doesn’t it.

The Carrier IQ removal is obviously a good move, but I’m overjoyed that they finally removed Qik from the Epic! It’s been absolutely unusable from day one, and I’m thankful it will no longer take up space and resources on my phone. It’s big brother, Skype, works just fine on GB.

4. DennyFrank says:

Amazes me how the internet goes nuts over things they are misinformed about…. complain about how long updates and improvements take but bitch and moan over analytic software. Carriers know what sites you surf, where you are and who you communicate without this software that they did not use for key logging in the first place. Then they relish in finding security exploits to “open” their devices and some stilling phone as a modem, using the defense “data is data” how ever they are in direct contradiction of the terms of service. I am just ranting and voicing my opinion on the most vocal sect of the rooting community. This does not apply to everyone but it sure does apply to those that take offense. For the record I am a software engineer with no ties to sprint or carrier iq and I have developed software for mobile devices.

5. Duclos95 says:

Here we go again. Sprint will offically screw my phone up again. Its working great but some nerd beggto differ with me. Leave my phone alone.

6. JimmyBeatz says:

My boot loader appears to be locked now. So much for re-root.