• Sat, Oct 25th, 2014

New EVO or Galaxy Nexus?

Posted In Featured, Polls - By Mark Hearn On Wednesday, March 21st, 2012 5:46am PDT With 31 Comments

The writing appears to be all over the wall the past few days and it seems that Sprint is finally about land some heavy-hitting devices. The question is, which one do you have your sights set on? A little over a two months ago, Sprint used CES as a platform to confirm that they’d be carrying Samsung and Google’s Galaxy Nexus. Though this device has been highly sought after, many felt that it was nothing new since it had already been released on Verizon. However some of the naysayers started changing their tune when word broke that Sprint’s version of the Galaxy Nexus could possibly ship with improved hardware.

As we fast-forward to recent times, the case of the next EVO has finally gained some momentum with Sprint and HTC primed to make a joint announcement in the next two weeks. Though the device remains somewhat of a unicorn, it’s expected to carry similar hardware to the HTC One X, which would make this Sprint’s strongest EVO yet. As purebred as the Galaxy Nexus’ pedigree may be, there’s just something about a high-end EVO device that sounds very tempting. As much as you’d probably like to buy them both, odds are you can only take one home. With the stage set for a fight to the finish, we’d like to know who’s your money on?

[poll id="94"]

1. Galaxy Nexus all the way, I like having an up to date smartphone.

2. eFunk25 says:

This is a tuff one. Looking forward to finding out more on both these devices. I will be getting one of them for sure. At this point it is a toss up.If the reviews come back similar I will go with the one with the best call quality.

3. Michael A says:

I’m torn… I think the quad core will b more future proof in regards to the next android version. The nexus S doesn’t run ICS quite as smoothly as the galaxy nexus due to the single core processor, and the next nexus will undoubtedly be quad core. Updates are always a concern, but I’d run CM9 anyway.

I just hope they don’t wait 6 months or even 6 weeks to release it after the announcement. it just let’s the buzz die out. Announce and release!!

I’m still leaning towards Nexus

4. KingP says:

screw Google and their Galaxy Nexus. EVO all the way man. That was THE best Android phone that Sprint ever had…light years better than the stupid Nexus S 4G.

5. Ronthegent says:

my only choices this summer is the EVO LTE or Galaxy S3

6. Knelson says:

EVO build quality was terrible in my experience. I went through three devices over a course of months and never got a good one. I settled on one with a camera with one corner badly unfocused and that overheats if I don’t constantly monitor the handset temperature and throttle my usage. It shouldn’t take more than one or two tries to get a good example. Never another HTC for me. I am counting the days to Galaxy Nexus.

7. Oversight68 says:

Will see when I can get my hands on both. Maybe I’ll wait until the GS3 hits, then make a decision.

8. s b k says:

If they really do improve the Nexus’s hardware then thats where I am at. I wonder if Sprint is going to get the Note/Journal or if they will skip right to the GSIII either way there will be some serious choices for Sprint customers to make and that is good news for us all.

9. Unless the new EVO has some extra features, I am going Galaxy Nexus on this one.

10. Davidksims says:

If the spec’s on the EVO are anything close to the One S, I’m on it. My only concern is no MicroSDHC slot!

11. FireFrost says:

I’m all about the new EVO! It just makes sense to go with another Sense device. My Hero can finally take a break after 2 plus years of faithful service. I do echo a concern of some on here about the no microSD card, but when I got to thinking about it, a concern of mine was losing my phone. I have it locked down pretty well, but if my SD card was taken, all my personal things could be accessed and I couldn’t do anything. So, with HTC and Dropbox so cozy, putting things in the cloud but still able to access them on my phone puts me at ease. So…yes, EVO!

12. Skurfa says:

I spent the winter in Panama and bought an unlocked GSM G-Nex and used it on Mas Movil’s network. Even on their crappy network (Edge only where I was) The phone was awesome, I love it, will grab Sprints version as soon as I can.

13. KOLIO says:

How about a neither choice in the poll. I’m perfectly satisfied w/the MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G,especially since ICS will be coming in Q3 2012.

14. rustygh says:

I will compare final specs but..
    This HTC EVO 3D has been the best phone yet for me
    Going to be hard to let it go. I’m in a good wimax area

PS I’ve also used iPhone 3Gs & 4 att

15. Mark Hearn says:

Should be fun to get some side by side action with these two when they both hit the market.

16. ArchangelRenzoku says:

If they slap a battery into it like the Droid Maxx, the screen size of the Galaxy Nexus, and LTE into it – all while keeping the hardware keyboard – it would be all over with the Samsung Epic. :)

I hate that it’s from Samsung, but can’t resist what that’d have to offer.

17. averymlewis says:

Neither probably a Galaxy Note type device for Sprint.

18. Roy Anderson says:

Attention NO EVO was better than my Epic 4G!!! I’m holding out for a NOTE or GSIII but if Sprint can improve the butchering Verizon put on the Galaxy Nexus I might give it a try. I almost jumped ship for the NOTE so we shall see. Come on Sprint!!!!

19. cashd00d says:

Give me an HTC EVO X.

HTC One X with a removable battery and micro-SD card slot. And make it in complete black instead of two-tone.

20. Paul says:

Man why do so many people want the galaxy note??Not exactly portable(unless you plan to keep it in a bookbag or something).

21. John says:

there’s only one Nexus.

22. Davidksims says:

Go to AT&T and play with one! And it’s just as portable as my Motorola Photon for the most part!

23. Blankman says:

To me, it doesn’t really matter. I would rather get the one that is going to get updates first and since i’m a Nexus S 4g owner, I can honestly say that neither company is getting my money.

I’ve been an android fan since the T-Mobile G1 and the way updates are pushed out have me thinking about going the other route (I can’t even bring myself to saying the name). At least when an update is available, it is available for all and not just certain versions leaving other versions in the dark.

I say all that to say Android and it’s updates (the reason I was an original Nexus and a Nexus S 4g owner) are pissing me off so it doesn’t really matter which phone they come out with at this point to me.

24. Blankman says:

Kind of like the Nexus S 4G (insert sarcasm)? My mother has the Nexus S for T-Mobile and has had ICS for months now so i’m not impressed or intrigued anymore.

25. txnomad says:

I gave the Note a good look over at SXSW including putting it in my pocket and it fit just fine. If you use your phone to surf the web or other reading, it’s worth considering.

26. txnomad says:

As long as the new HTC Sense is at least as good as the version on my EVO 4G, I’ll probably go with the new HTC phone. I’ll probably wait until the new Evo, Nexus and Note (Journal?) are all out and do an extensive comparison before my final decision, though.

27. OGNEX says:

G Nexus for the win

28. My source has forewarned me to not buy the GALAXY Nexus, and to wait til June to get what HTC is announcing. I’ll take his advice ;)

29. Asdf says:

As we fast-forward to recent times,
    Though the device remains somewhat of a unicorn,
    As purebred as the Galaxy Nexus’ pedigree may be,
    As much as you’d probably like to buy them both,
    With the stage set for a fight to the finish.

seriously?

30. Joe Knox says:

Give me a Note (And I mean Note. Don’t name it a stupid Journal on Sprint).

31. Enflu3nza says:

Nexus. i have a Nexus S. once you go Google you never go back!
    never was a fan of Sense anyway.