• Fri, Aug 22nd, 2014

Should Sprint Buy Clearwire?

Posted In Polls - By Mark Hearn On Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 11:03am PDT With 14 Comments

After recent backlash from analysts, Sprint’s financial status has been under a microscope. With expensive plans to expand to LTE and a majority owned Clearwire on Sprint’s books, we’re wondering if it would be in the Now Network’s best interest to flat out buy the wireless ¬†internet wholesaler? With plans for TD-LTE, Clearwire could possibly be the boost that Sprint needs to get over the hump. Feel free to share your thoughts about Sprint’s financial status and their relationship with Clearwire via the comments below.

[poll id="95"]

1. Tommy Thompson says:

Would it benefit them any at all since they already own such a huge stake in Clear?

2. James Shaggy says:

I didnt vote, im undecided on whether i think they should or shouldnt. I kinda feel they shouldnt because they are already close to going under, at the same time it might not be a good idea. If i was CEO of sprint i would probably wait to see what the fcc decides on with Verizon and the cable companies as well as to see if any other lower band FDD spectrum becomes available for bid.

3. ChadBroChillz says:

I voted yes, but I can see the bad and the good from this deal. One good is sprint would have better capacity than any other carrier, even if sprint kept their 3g network, and Verizon converted all their spectrum to LTE. One bad is that they would have a bullseye on their back if they ever tried to get more spectrum. I remember hearing that the FCC plans to auction off some more PCS which is only 10mhz, but it is nationwide, and is adjacent to sprint’s G Block. I am not sure sprint would need more spectrum for a long time though. Another good would be that sprint could put the 2500 on every tower right now( maybe even 3 10×10 chunks right now) while they are upgrading every tower for network vision instead of having to go back to each tower to add it to “hotspot” areas.

4. AyaisMUsikWhore says:

I would say……. Yes and no… I can see how it would benefit them in the long run, but what if something comes left field and they can’t handle it… That’s my biggest fear.. Just like the whole lightsquared deal

5. Oversight68 says:

If Sprint bought it outright they would control the build out and probably be able to fix bandwidth issues quicker. With its other commitments, could Sprint even afford it at this point, much less the costs to adequately build out that spectrum in the short term?

6. Cross Rocker says:

sprint gave clear wire a bunch of 4g spectrum so its a definite yes from me. if something goes wrong and sprint goes bankrup, the government will save it any way. win win

7. jasonacg says:

I don’t know how much bandwidth is held by Clearwire, so I’m not sure if there would be any bandwidth that Sprint would consider “excess.” If it does turn out that Clearwire has more than Sprint needs right now, I’d buy it, take the bandwidth I need, and sell off the excess. If the sale of excess bandwidth, covers all (or even a large part) of Sprint’s investment, it will have been a good move.

But, there are a lot of “if’s” in this scenario.

8. cashd00d says:

The title of this article is misleading. Sprint already owns 54% of Clearwire… they are the majority owner. HTC is the majority owner of Beats. You wouldn’t say “Should HTC buy Beats”. They already have.

That being said, NO, Sprint should not buy the remaining 46% of Clearwire.

9. Davidksims says:

He cleaned it up in the article. I voted yes, but after reading your comment and thinking a litttle. No, they should not buy Clearwire, definately not. No reason to. They have 54% and get to call the shots. If Clearwire wants to “sell” some bandwith to Verzion or whoever, they will have to go thru Sprint in which Sprint will get a profit. If somewhere down the line Sprint needs more bandwith, kick out Verzion or whoever and take it!

10. Jay Diggy says:

I do agree that Sprint should eventually buy Clearwire, but now is not that time. Where Sprint messed up was last spring/early summer when they left the Clearwire board. That was the beginning of the downfall of Clearwire–followed by that melodramatic analyst presentation last October. If Sprint had of stayed on the board, they could have committed additional pre-payments to Clearwire, and directed their 4G WIMAX rollout instead of leaving Clearwire to fend for and figure it out for itself. WIMAX could have then been a nation-wide network, and I gaurante if that had happened, Comcast et al who jumped ship to Verizon (or sold their shares at a significant discount) would have stayed put and sold wireless services on the Clearwire network. Now everyon’e looking at another 3-5 years for Clearwire to get their LTE TDD network up? Seems like we’re back at square one with billions of dollars wasted!

11. Jay Diggy says:

I can never imagine VZ or ATT ever turning to Clearwire for network capactity. ATT already said they would never let anyone else manage their network. Most I can see is Clearwire selling spectrum to ATT or VZ.

12. Someone says:

APPL is looking at buying both Sprint and Clearwire, cutting up the pieces, selling off what it doesn’t want and building its own net. Just wait and see.

13. Garcia Sinue says:

Acctually sprint does not own 54% now its 50-50. clear is going to take off, just like cricket did no one expected for cricket to do good when they came out!