• Sat, Jul 12th, 2014

Sprint Developing LTE Windows Phone With Fall Release in Mind

Posted In News - By Mark Hearn On Monday, March 19th, 2012 3:37pm PDT With 20 Comments

If you’re a Sprint customer that’s been holding out for a new Windows Phone, there’s a taste of good news and not so good news coming down the pipeline. Let’s start with a taste of the good stuff. Sources familiar with Sprint’s LTE game plan have advised that the company has plans to begin development on a new LTE Windows Phone powered device. This lines up with a recent report stating that Sprint had been eyeing Qualcomm’s MSM8960 and hinted that Nokia could be the OEM tasked with bringing this device forward.

We can now confirm that this new device will carry Qualcomm’s MSM8960 Snapdragon, but it still remains a mystery which OEM will be doing the heavy lifting and giving this device its retail form factor. As jazzed up as we are about Sprint’s plans to finally release another Windows Phone handset, our source advised that the device is slated to go through a battery of testing in the next few months, which gives it a fall release at the earliest. With Windows Phone 8 set to release sometime at the end of the year, this pretty much confirms Sprint’s hands-off approach with the Microsoft’s mobile operating system until the arrival of Apollo.

Does the idea of an LTE Windows Phone powered by Qualcomm’s MSM8960 have the stopping power to keep you Windows Phone hopefuls with Sprint? Be sure to share your thoughts via the comments and let us know what your future plans are looking like.

1. fishhead says:

I’m salivating!!!

2. Doug Kaplan says:

Please have a slide out keyboard like the HTC Arrive.

3. Awesome news! I can’t wait to see Sprint’s next WP.

4. ChadBroChillz says:

Hopefully it’s a line of windows phones. Would not mind having the option of the larger Nokia 900 or a slide out keyboard arrive upgrade.

5. turdsamich says:

I love my arrive but Im not due for an upgrade until 2013 so there isnt much of a hurry for me, would love to see some new WP7 phones for sprint though, Nokia 900 would be awesome

6. SmartFah says:

It’ll be nice to have something other than Android dominating Sprints line up, but if Apple releases an new 4g iPhone in the Fall, it may be hard for that new Windows Phone to compete.

7. mamacita42 says:

Please let this be true!

8. Ricky Shah says:

Sounds very interesting.. I guess it will be unveiled by the end of September. Nokia has held the event at the end of September (forgot the exact date).

9. Apocalypsebc says:

Let hope Sprint get it right and have more than one LTE Windows Phone 8!

10. Ryan Hill says:

I’ve had the Arrive for awhile now and ready for an upgrade. But I can’t wait until Q4 with the prospect of an LTE device when one will be released in the coming weeks. After 13+ years with Sprint, I’ll be switching to AT&T for Lumia 900.

11. s b k says:

My wife has had the Arrive for about a month now and I am very impressed. Fall is about when I am due for an upgrade and I would be very tempted by a WP LTE phone, at least it gives users more choice. I hope its a Nokia or Samsung and hopefully they will release more than one model.

12. Chris says:

Just give me a Lumia 800 as it exists now, and you’ll have a happy Sprint customer for another 2 years. I don’t ask for much!

13. RealityCheck says:

Sprint will introduce its 4G network with the slowest speeds in the nation, and it will have a 3GB cap. One thing clear about Sprint, they will always overpromise and under deliver.

14. Glad Sprint is getting readu for Windows Phone 8.

15. I really love my Sprint service, but I WANT a Windows phone!!!! I’m reallly sad about the choices I have right now with Sprint.

16. Venom01x says:

I am on the same page. Love my Arrive, but I need a new phone so I will also be leaving Sprint for the Nokia Lumia 900 after 14 dedicated year. Not something I wanted to do.

17. Eric Ro says:

I’ve been looking to ditch AT&T for some time now. I was ready to pull the trigger and settle for teh arrive, but I think I’m going to have to hold out for a 4g device. I hope they get something soon though.

18. Jerry Bandy says:

HTC says it won’t make a slide out keyboard for Windows Phone again. The LG LS831 may be the next Windows Phone but looks like a mid to low end device. I get the feeling that Sprint will use it just to keep the Microsoft door open for a little longer.

19. notanobamafan says:

Thanks Sprint. I am sticking around for a long time now. Glad that you made the Windows choice. My Arrive is pretty beat up.

20. Glenn Weaver says:

I would switch back to sprint if they would get the new Nokia Lumina 920 I saw this phone on you tube and want it real bad. I’m with Verizon now but would switch to sprint if they would get it, they are the only 1 offering a unlimited data now. Verizon is expected to this phone according to Microsoft. Every cell provider should carry all 4 brands of windows phones, you can walk into any cell store and buy a iPhone no matter the company if Microsoft want to compete with the iPhone then offer all there phones at all cell carriers.